Belgian endives



"Guess, what I found in Go Green?", is my message to a Belgian colleague in Rwanda. Attached is a picture, the one you see above. Go Green is the shop where I buy almost all my fruits and vegetables.

When I was recently here, I just went to the market, as I did in Vietnam. But that didn't last long. The market near here is small and a bit dirty. The produce is often not so good quality either. So I went to Kimironko market. A very big market, which tourists also like to visit. I was a bit overwhelmed there. My bag almost snatched from my hand by someone who wanted to help me carry. Others following close. Since I had no idea of prevailing prices, I couldn't haggle properly, had the feeling I was cheated. On the way home, I thought: not again.

Supermarkets are not really an alternative. Most supermarkets here have a very limited fresh food section. Tomatoes, onions, potatoes, papayas and bananas. But not much else.


Go Green, then. Nice and easy: not so far, everything together, a fixed price you don't have to negotiate, a cash ticket that is clear and the options to pay cash, momo or with a card.

And that's where I found Belgian endives yesterday.

I have regularly grown my own Belgian endives during my years abroad. I would recommend it to anyone who is a bit of a gardener. From seed to chicory root. Which you then harvest and plant again in a dark container. When you see that white gold appear, cut it off and hold it in your hands, the wonder of that whole process instantly makes you happy. But I haven't sown any more chicory. The whole process takes months and I no longer have that time here.

I am happily surprised with the few stumps I see in Go Green.

My Belgian eyes see the brown edges on the outer leaves, the green ends where the foliage saw light, the slightly stretched shape that suggests it was harvested too late. But my Belgian taste says: Belgian endives! Gratin! So buy it and prepare it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember

Hear, the rain is coming

Termites