Bats



It is actually far too late when I step out of the door. Another busy day behind me. In the car park, only my bike is left. The night watchman opens the gate for me and I toil up the steep slope. It is dark, but not quite yet. The clouds contrast darkly with the rest of the sky. When I reach the main road, I hear the sound. A loud twittering, croaking. It's hard to describe, but I know what's going on. Time to get off my bike and look up in the safety of the pavement. The sky is dotted with dark, flying animals. They look like birds, but they are not.

Bats. There is a large colony African fruit bats that houses in the trees a little further up. If you step past you can smell them. There must be a lot of dung under those trees. During the day they hang quietly down a branch, taking a nap. Well, quiet is not the right word either. There is actually constant movement in that big hanging animal pile. There's always one stretching its wings, not content with its spot under the branch, giving another a push. It's a lot of squirming, fluttering and short flight distances. But then, as darkness falls, they become really active. They leave their spots under the branches and fly out, looking for food. It is an impressive phenomenon as they are big, with wingspans up to 80 cm.

Time for me to look for food too

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember

Hear, the rain is coming

Termites